A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup, Trafalgar Square, and Royalty!

Trafalgar Square to see the first match of the World Cup live-South Africa vs. Mexico!
with a few of my closest friends...

I don't know where this soccer ball goes after the World Cup or who gets to keep it, but I thought I'd better sign it anyways. ***Cat, this is for you since you asked me to post pictrues of people...you know.

See-- "Becky USA 2010"! I didn't want to give my last name just in case immigration was still after me..haha. really.

The National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. Check out the ship in the bottle on top of the plinth (Pete, Dad, Zak, this is the plinth we watched online for like 3 months).

Trafalgar square again...

Whitehall Street

These elephants are all over London and each one is different. They are apparently for sale. I don't know who would buy this and where they would put it...


Trafalgar Square

Nelson's Column (at guess where?Trafalgar Square. I obviously found Trafalgar Square very photogenic.)

Admiralty Arch (I think). Leaving Trafalgar and heading down The Mall (just a street, no shopping in sight) to Buckingham Palace.

Admiralty Arch from the other side (if thats what this is...)

British flags flanking The Mall

Bob needed to go to the restroom quickly, so we popped into St. James' Park and found this 3'-0" tall pelican just hanging out next to the restrooms and posing for photos. Yes, it's real! No trainer or anything. He just wandered over to hang out. He even angles his face for you to show his "better angle". so strange...

Experimenting with the camera in St. James's Park

Flags at Buckingham Palace

St. James's Park. So pretty! (Bob says as it's owned by the Queen and next to Buckingham Palace, it's of course going to be one of the prettiest parks in London!)

Buckingham Palace

You can just spot the London Eye and Big Ben through St. James's Park

The Mall (see, there's no shopping...)

Guard's outside of Buckingham Palace (next to red buses and telephone boxes, this is about as British as you can get! :) )

Check out Bob's good camera skills! (Again, for you Cat!)

I like these signs (although I don't always have luck with them. Refer to yesterday's post...)

St. James's Palace (I don't know who St. James is or I would explain that in my post...)

Pall Mall. Dad, this sign is for you. Since I used to play London Monopoly growing up (I thought everyone did), and used to always want this street because it said Mall. However, the street is not really a mall...just fyi.

St. James's Street..I think.

Another elephant! In a rugby outfit! This is the first one I've seen in costume (or uniform I'm sure he would prefer for it to be called...).

Somewhere on St. Jame's Street. Or Piccadilly maybe? Clearly I didn't pay much attention to where I was on this street.
Ok, sorry about the excess of photos, but it was the first day in a week the sun came out, so I thought it should be documented...heavily! I was sitting on Bob's couch in my pajamas watching the Opening Ceremonies of the World Cup in Johannesburg at 1 p.m. (I had only woken up an hour earlier at noon after staying up all night finishing off the Glee Season One dvd's). They kept showing insets of people watching the ceremonies live in Trafalgar Square, so Bob and I decided after they were done, we would get dressed and head that way just to see what was going on as the first game would be shown an hour after the close of the ceremonies. There were quite a few people, but not as many as we expected. Tomorrow when England plays the U.S. it will for sure be PACKED. Not sure if that's where I want to go to watch the game (because I'd rather not have to see the whole game or stand to do so).
Anyways, after getting some photos (just a few ;)), we headed down the Mall towards Buckingham Palace. I felt much more at home with the tons of people who all had their cameras out in this area. Perhaps that also led to the many many photos. We walked along St. James's Park and then turned around at Buckingham Palace to walk towards St. James's Palace which was just one street over-not quite as nice as the Queen's. It looked more like a fort or castle than a palace...
After taking some photos on Pall Mall (expained above), we then headed down a very regal looking street (St. James' Street maybe?) towards Green Park to get to a tube stop to head home. Not much to explain today-figured the photos do it better!
Tomorrow's the big day for England--Go England! (Oh and today marks my first week in London-so I celebrated with a batter-dipped sausage, just like I did the first day I was here!).

4 comments:

  1. So much fun!!! :) LOVE the pic of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trafalgar Square with a few of your closest friends looks like soooo much fun! I wanna watch some of the games at a place like that here in Houston. Too bad most people here couldn't care less about the world cup.

    PS--so now I'm hearing that UT, TT, OU, and OSU are supposed to be heading to the Pac-10 next week while Neb is already gone to Big 10. A&M is still looking at their options to possibly go to the SEC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have not been yet, you should check out Queen Mary's Rose Garden in Regents Park. The roses should be in bloom right now (this was the time of year I went to London). They are so pretty! and so many! The park is easy to find too.. I think it has it's own tube station.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds cool Ginger! I'll have to check that out. This weeks weather is supposed to be better, so it could work out quite nicely :)

    ReplyDelete