A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Spitalfields and Old Street!



The metal letters attracted me into this cool store!



The stalls at Spitalfields Market. Like the sign said, Thursdays are antiques! And what a surprise to find it covered! So much better than walking in the rain!

The blocks here were very expensive, but they had a great range!

Lots of old cameras. Probably need to learn how to use the ones I have...


I don't know why this picture insists on being turned sideways (it's not on the computer), but they are all old antique games! so fun!

There were cool shops surrounding the market. One of them being Elemental:
http://elemental.uk.com/

Check out this AWESOME dining table at Elemental (photos from their website)

And, letters that light up!!





I loved the vintage suitcases with all of the stickers!


This stall sold newspapers from the 1940's with headlines about World War II in great condition, old money, old postcards/photographs, and even some old tube and bus maps from the 1930's, 40's, 50's and so on. One of my favorite stalls!

And of course old books!

Around the market...

Columbia Street, a little North of Spitafields, with what looks like would be really cute boutique type stores. As you can see, apparently as I just found out on the website, these stores are only open on the weekends for about 3 hours Saturday, and their big day is 7 hours on Sunday. That seems very backwards to me!

A mosaic mural that spanned quite a ways along Columbia street. As I walked all the way there for the un-open stores, I figured I should take a picture of something.

Pretty mural on a building at the intersection of Old Street and Shoreditch High Street.

Tex-Mex restaurant. hmmmmm

haha graffiti about Disney? Way to cater to the kids! I like it.

Some buildings right outside of the entrance to Old Street Station


So I had heard about this market being voted the best in London (replacing Portobello) in the past few years. So I looked it up online and found some details-like antique stalls are on Thursdays, fashion and art is on Friday, and Sunday is the biggest day with all kinds of stalls spilling out into the surrounding street. They also have a special art market once a month which has some great original art! This being said, I decided to start with antiques, so I took the tube to Liverpool Street station and the market was just around the block. They had quite an array of different things, and had I actually lived in London, I would have most likely bought some very cool furniture :). As this was somewhat near Old Street and Columbia Street, I decided to look into some boutique shops I had seen on a London blog. As it turned out, these shops were right at the end of Columbia Street and quite a walk! And to top it all off, had I read further into the blog (past the adresses), I would have seen that they are only open on weekends. So after this dissapointment, I decided to head back to Bob's from the Old Street station.

2 comments:

  1. Did you buy any of the old newspaper clippings or tube maps? I bet those would have been cool souvenirs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like my kind of place. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete