A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

From Notting Hill--Portobello Road--Ladbroke Grove

Portobello Road (not on a market day which is Saturday)-one of my favorite places in London!


LOVE this store

Old Cricket balls!

They had tons and tons of drawer knobs!

Printing blocks!





Pedlar's
http://www.pedlars.co.uk/





Bus signs that go on the front and back of the buses to show their route


Check out the London print here-I've also posted a close-up a little farther down


Jim Datz limited edition print especially made for Pedlar's-LOVE this!

Awesome store display at the All Saints store on Portobello Road. The whole thing was covered in vintage sewing mahcines.

They wouldn't let me take photos inside, but they had some GREAT but expensive and large antiques.

I loved these wooden crates (smaller ones) and check out the very old Portobello Road sign!

Great house on Portobello Road

Skate Park near the National Gallery in Southbank






I had heard of Pedlar's on many blogs and websites, and decided to check it out. It's a store started in Scotland that has both vintage and new items which make for interesting souvenirs from Great Britain. It's quite a ways away from Bob's, but I figured worth a visit. Although the weather forecast heavy rain, when I left Bob's, it was partly cloudy/blue skies, and since the weather is usually wrong everyday, I decided to chance it. Things went well until I got off the tube at Notting Hill Gate. People were carrying their umbrellas, waiting for the rain, and it came within 5 minutes of me getting out of the protection of the tube station! Good thing I had my trusty umbrella which was from the pound store which turned inside out immediately. So I found Portobello Road, and ran into the first shop pictured above (yes, even in running in the rain, I was still picky about what store to go in-I didn't go into the first shop I saw-a country western shop--uh, in London??). Luckily, I loved this store and spent quite a bit of time just going through everything! I went into a few other stores, but kept on route to Pedlar's. It was nice to see Portobello Rd. without billions of people during the market, but then how I do love the market!
Pedlar's was great, and the staff were extremely nice. The Jim Datz painting I found, I fell in love with. Too bad it comes framed though and was pricey. I made my way back down Portobello Rd. and into a few second hand bookstores (still in search of the perfect and cheap Peter Pan book!). I went back to the tube station, and made my way to Waterloo station. I had to get another look at some art I had seen the day before at Gabriels Wharf. This is when I saw the skate park because I had come a different way than yesterday (there were like 10 different exits out of Waterloo Station going towards the Thames). I ended up buying the etching which has a Japanese feel to it-teal background with branches with white and yellow blossoms by Peter Wareham.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Looks like there was lots of goodies that could have been bought in this trip. I sure wish I was with you. I miss you sistor!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know who else likes antiquing? http://tinyurl.com/289fu64 LOL!

    ReplyDelete