A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Southbank Tour-Part 1-Art!-In Route to Oxo Tower

Coming out of the strange tunnel system from Waterloo. Glad there were signs!

Apparently this was the Queen's Walk because I kept seeing these signs everywhere!

Gabriels Wharf- a cute little area with cafes and artist run shops right off of the Thames

It was funny to see business men in their suits sitting at these hand-carved wooden table and chairs

Apparently they do bike tours from Gabriels Wharf!

This little art gallery had great prints, etching, linocuts, and more!
Entrance to Gabriels Wharf off of the Thames

Behind the Oxo Tower-or maybe part of it?-The Bargehouse where Oxo Exhibitions are held. Great building!





I said I really liked the building. This building had all of these bars on it that I think glow at night as a type of exhibition (or so that's how the photo on their website looked).

Oxo Tower-Skylark Gallery-Jennie Ing had told me about this gallery showing until August 15th. It was great!





Quick look at the Thames

Again with the Bargehouse...Sorrrry!


St. Paul's Cathedral peeking out from inside the Oxo Tower

This day is split into two days because I got a little camera happy! So I went out this morning knowing it would still be overcast (oh how I miss the sun and clear sunny days!), and decided on Jennie Ing's recomendation to come to the Oxo Tower where some of her work is being displayed. I came in at Waterloo Station and walked into a series of confusing underground tunnels pointing me towards the Oxo Tower. They would have been super creepy if the mom with her four small boys hadn't been running around in front of me! Finally I came out somewhere near the IMAX and made my way towards the water-where I foudn the National Gallery. Didn't go inside, so I'm not sure what this is, but they had a cool display of some very large scale furniture made of astroturf (furniture was about 12 feet tall-would post the pictures, but I already have so many!). I made it past the National Gallery and stumbled onto Gabriels Wharf which had some great little shops and would be a great place to hang out on a sunny day!
It was just next door to the Oxo Tower, which I didn't realize was basically a design shopping center! It had art galleries, design shops, jewelry shops, fashion shops, interiors shops! It was great. The Skylark Gallery was great, and I even met one of the artist's whose work I really liked-Clare Johnson:
Good thing I'm a little broke at the moment, or I would have been spedning quite a bit of money! Now onto the next entry for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment