A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Touristy Day Indeed!

Start the day out with the London Eye!


County Hall and the Eye

I like lamps.

And tube signs. or really, just any signs!

Big Ben-check out the scaffolding behind it. Scaffolding ruins everything!

Protestrors protesting the war in front of Parliament

The sign says it all! (I think that's St. Margaret's Church there too)


Parliament

It's a rather large place...

Back of Westminster Abbey-I think?

Flying butresses!

Parliament again-with a lightpost!


Still Parliament...

One last shot of Ben

I believe this is Westminster Abbey. I've confused myself now though with St. Margaret's Church...It's like 1 a.m. here. I'm sleepy!

Definitely Westminster Abbey

I like the contrast of the old and new

Neat little clock-not quite as tall as Big Ben though

I want to see this play!

Kind of reminds me of an armadillo. no?

Not sure what this is, but in the middle of all of the ultra-modern glass curtain wall skyscrapers, it seemed not to fit-I like that.

Loved the look of this cute pub! Right in the middle of these super tall office buildings!

Victoria Station-good to know what it looks like. Might have to take a train from here one of these days!

I like street signs...

Lower Sloane Street-the whole street is lined with these red flats
So this day started out strange indeed. A very traumatic event happened when I was walking on my way to the tube station, but I won't write about it because it tends to tug at the heart strings a bit. So I made my way to Waterloo tube station because I had seen in the paper the day before that Anne Hathaway was filming a scene outside of Waterloo Station for a new movie. Well, they didn't seem to be filming anymore (always a day late-first Jennifer Aniston, now Anne Hathaway!), but then again, the train station (it also has a large national rail station attached) was huge, and for me to walk around to all parts of it would probably have been very difficult. From Waterloo, I walked to the London Eye. There seemed to be a lot more street perfomers there than I remembered (and tons more people). I saw another Jack Sparrow impersonator which may or may not have been the same one I saw at Covent Garden and a bad Michael Jackson impersonator (he looked nothing like MJ and I think everyone though it was in poor taste as he had no one around him). From the Lonodn Eye, I walked across Westminster Bridge to Parliament, Big Ben, and eventually Westminster Abbey.
I ended up on Victoria Street and mom and dad had told me of a travel agency just off of Victoria St. that I should visit to discuss our trip. It was quite a ways down, but I finally found it, and she gave some great advice-like going to Greece in October is not a good idea.
From here, I was still going strong, and decided to walk to Sloane Square. Once I finally got there, I actually felt pretty tired, and decided to get the 137 bus back to Bob's. Unfortunately, there was some malfunction on the bus, and it instead of dropping us off at Bob's Street (well not us-not everyone woudl have gotten off there), it terminated at Clapham Common Station. So I decided to finish off my day by doing the 30 minute walk to Bob's, and stopping in Tesco's to get some dinner. Is it sad that the express checker guy now knows me?haha

2 comments:

  1. The old building you are not sure of is Westminster cathedral. There is a famous song about it. The pic you took of the armadillo looking building; the building on the left of it is Portland House where I first worked while in London many many years ago. The building behind it used to be Glen House, where mom and I met, but it has been torn down and replaced with the ultra modern looking building. Glen House was an ugly bldg!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the oictures in this post. So LONDON! :) Tescos...your so lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete