A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Friday, July 23, 2010

Knightsbridge & Harrods

Wasn't really in a picture taking mood today, but you can't pass up the opportunity to take a photo of a 7 foot tall Harrods bear in a Beefeater's outfit. And I sure wasn't the only one! I had to wait in line to get a picture, and I was the only one who wasn't taking one of people posing with the stuffed animal (saw more adults, than children posing...)

Princess Diana memorial in Harrods near the Egyptian elevator (There was a 9 foot tall gold Sphynx across fomr this memorial to give you a better mental picture of my surroundings).

Chocolate section in the food hall-took this photo for Kim!

Tea Section-And there are items on sale. Didn't know Harrods had sales (recession)!

Found this store last time I was here (ok, technically I saw it in a travel guide and walked all over Knightsbridge looking for it) and actually stumbled upon it this time. Has great things like vintage tube maps from before the early 1900's, but it's a little pricey!

Couldn't fit all of Harrods in the frame even from across the street, but you get the picture. It's HUGE!

They happened to have a lot of telephone boxes on Brompton Road

Love these buildings down the street from Harrods

See the Harrods delivery truck in the bottom of the frame? It seemed so small in comparison to how much is in the store. Restocking must suck!


So the past few days have been pretty lazy- trying to recover from the coastal tours in Devon and Cornwall. Yesterday, Bob and I decided to go out on a walk even though it was on the verge of raining. We walked down to Clapham Commom and got Bob his gelato, which then fueled us to walk quite a bit further. In our 2 1/2 hours, we made it down Wandsworth Road (past Lavendar Hill-sadly no lavendar), past an ASDA-a British Wal-Mart!!!, and all the way to Clapham Junction railway station so I could look up trains to Banstead and Hampon Court. We were so tired after this unexpectedly long walk, that we took the bus back to Clapham South station, and then another bus back to Bob's.
Today, I decided to go on a hunt for a few items which I had seen on a London blog. This took me back to Baker Street via the Bakerloo tube line (great name-Bakerloo). I again walked past the wax museum which seemed to be even more packed with people queueing up to go in and have their photos taken with wax celebrities! The health and beauty store I was looking for was on a side street off of Thayden St. However, I didn't not realize that this was actually Marylebone High Street. So I ended up walking all the way down Marleybone Street from the Baker Street tube stop, and hitting the Marylebone tube station. Too proud to look at my map until this point, I realized then that they were actually the same street, and it was only one or two streets past Baker Street. So I make it down there again, but unfortunately the store didn't have what I'm looking for (oops-the blog was from Feb 2009). I did get to go back in Daunt Bookstore though which made it ok!
Next on the list of things to do was to go to Harrods to look at their gift section (only part of their store I don't feel like a fraud for being in because I can semi-afford a few of those items!). It was PACKED, and much more expensive than I had remembered-I'm even getting too poor for the gift section! So after taking a great picture of one of the 4 Harrods big bears, I headed out hoping to find the bus station that had the 137 bus back to Bob's. I did not find this. But, I did find the Map shop and another entrance to the Knightsbridge tube station (this must be a HUGE tube station because it was a mile or so from the one that spit me out at Harrods door step). Oh, and little fun tidbit-Jennifer Aniston was at Harrod's on Wednesday unveiling her new frangrance. With all my Friends watching I'm doing over here (E4 shows about 10 Friends episodes a day, and if I miss them, then E4+1 shows them an hour later!), I would have liked to go and see this! The newspaper had a funny quote from her saying that she's not a woman who wears perfume (yet here she is getting people to try to buy hers!).

3 comments:

  1. YESSSS!!! FRIENDS!!! You just became THAT much cooler to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pic of the Turkey (oops) Beefeater.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harrods! I liked checking out all the decedent cakes in the food hall.

    That's funny you mention Friends being on the tv so much b/c I remember that as well. I think the series had just finished here before I went over there & they were still a season behind.. so my mom wouldn't let me tell her how it ended. LOL!

    ReplyDelete