A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tour of Edinburgh's Old Town!

A market on Castle Terrace road which runs behind Edinburgh Castle. I wandered onto Castle Terrace off of the main road the hostel was on. It was only a few minutes from the hostel, and led right into the Old Town! Such a better route than all those stairs! The market was selling all kinds of things such as fresh flowers, fruit, homemade cakes, homemade soap, and of course-Haggis-which sounds, looks, and smells like the most unappetizing meal ever. It's the sheeps heart, liver and lungs, along with some veggies and seaonsings cooked inside the sheeps stomach or a sausage casing. ughhh gross. I didn't look at it for more than a few seconds.
Edinburgh Castle from Castle Terrace road

The Grassmarket was one of Edinburgh's main markets for cattle and horses from the 1400's to the early 1900's. It is also where public executions were carried out. Wouldn't know about this smelly and scary past today-it's one of the most charming streets in all of Edinburgh in my opinion!

I love that places in Europe have so much history!


West Bow-goes from the Grassmarket to Victoria Street and had little charming buildings with cafes and boutique shops!

Victoria Street -found a great art gallery here that I bought a few prints from!

The Royal Mile (approximately a Scot's mile-not sure what that is or how it compares to a "real mile") runs from Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse which is the official residence of the Scottish Queen (I didn't know they had their own monarchy, just like I didn't know that they had their own bank notes-not coins, just notes. And each different bank makes their own notes, so they all look different. It was great for my foreign money collection! Looks like I visited like 4 different countries!).

And they have phone booths! I somehow thought that these were just English...


Need a kilt? The Royal Miles was filled with touristy shops selling kilts and cashmere and all things plaid.


These guys were everywhere! Nice skirt.



His outfit seemed much more official than the last guy's.

Entrance to Edinburgh Castle

View from the top of Edinburgh Castle


View of Princes Street and the Scott Monument from the line of defenses...

Princes Street view from Edinburgh Castle


Way harsh...

So there was a private weddding in St. Margarets Chapel (can't even imagine how expensive it would be to get married in Edinburgh's oldest building, but as they had 3 silver Mercedes with white bows tied around them to take the wedding party back down from the Castle, I doubt money was an object). The groomsmen and men in the family all wore kilts and those little hats and there was an official bagpiper who followed them in and out of the chapel. It was pretty cool to watch!

He looks most official

Another view of Princes Street from the Castle

Can see the hostel from on top of the Castle!

They were setting up for the Fireworks show on Sunday night from on top of the Castle. There were loads of fireworks. After watching the show, I can see why there were so many-it lasted 45 minutes!

So the first night in the hostel was not great. Because it's such an old building (or I'm assuming it was although it's located in the New Town), the noise from the streets below sounded like it was coming from inside the room. Since the city is so small too, people stayed out until 5 a.m. since there wasn't the tube closing at midnight to stop you from staying out! I think because it was the end of the festival too, maybe they stayed out later than usual. All myself and my dormates could hear was some girl cursing out a guy for about 3 straight hours over all of the regular drinking/pub type music and noise. And of course, the girl in the bunk above me needed to be up at 6:45 to catch her bus back to London. So a few hours sleep with my earphones in and music blasting all night to drown out the street noise wasn't amazing. Oh and very strange, this first night in the hostel, 4 out of 6 people in my dorm (one being me obviously) were French. There were no Americans from what I could tell from hanging out in the lounge. And no British. I found this strange...
The views from the Castle were amazing, but I didn't actually like the exhibitions. For one, the Crown Jewels exhibition was so packed that when I got into the starting room, I ended up just standing in a very slow moving line that snaked through very small rooms with 7-8 foot ceilings and no air conditioning. The rooms themselves had fake Venetian plastered walls done in high gloss paint that looked like an insane interior decorator had gotten ahold of and been given a command of carry out a "medieval theme". The rooms had mannequins acting out historical events (they didn't move, so acting out means more in the motionless way) with a voice from the ceiling telling you about them. It didn't seem very historical, and all I wanted was to get out. There was no way out of the exhibit though, although it seemed like everyone's main priority, but I found ways to cut the line because I only found out once Iwas in, that my handy audio guide said it would take about 30 minutes to get through (and the guide obviously didn't see these crowds standing still).
The exhibits mostly had mannequins "acting out" the events or something just as cheesy. It reminded me of a poor man's version of the Pirates of Carribean ride in Disneyworld, without the fun boat ride, singing, jovial priates and special effects. It was more walking (very very slowly) and the mannequins didn't swing to the music or pretend to drink. I especially felt this way in the Prison exhibit where the POW's had stayed. The exhibit lacked the mannequins but instead had speakers coming from the bunks with men talking about their lack of food and entertainment, clothes hanging from the rafters, and moving shadows cast high on the walls of prisonsers fighting to add some motion to the exhibit. Hard to explain, but really, just picture a really bad Disneyworld Pirates of the Carribean ride (for the record, that's one of my favorite Disney attrcations).
After the Castle, I walked more around the Old Town and made it back to the hostel around 7ish again after some more reading in the Princes Street Garden. Despite the bad Castle exhibits (the wedding with kilts and bagpiper made up for those), the Old Town was definitely my favorite part of Edinburgh!

2 comments:

  1. SOOOO, did you get me the "Royal Mile" sign? I think it would look great on the deck along with the Portabello Road sign.

    The punishments were amazing. I wonder if it stopped crime. Actually, that sign would also look good here.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. More importantly, did you get D Diddy a kilt?? lol :D

    ReplyDelete