A TEXAS GIRL'S RAMBLINGS OF TRAVELING IN LONDON AND SO FORTH...

Friday, September 3, 2010

Hello Edinburgh!

Really with the steps Scotland? I have a heavy suitcase! Put some lifts in the station to Princes Street since you built the station in the valley!

The hostel-looked cool from the oustide...

Never saw the kitchen or laundry room, but if the rooms and restrooms were any indication of the cleanliness of them, I'm glad I didn't have to use them!!

So the girl who checked me in said my room was on the first floor, and I was really excited because I wouldn't have to carry my heavy suitcase up more stairs. In Europe, when they say first floor, they really mean third. Sillly me! Staircase one to the basement floor.

Staircase two to the "first floor". Oh, and this staircase had two landings because the ceiling heights were so high. Really??? Oh, and number two-restroom was on the "basement floor" unless you count the one toilet that didn't flush for the 8 dorms on the first floor. Clearly their building codes are much like in the states regarding disability access and toilets per person ratios...or not.

The great thing about the hostel was free wi-fi everywhere and this bar/lounge. It was great after a long day exploring to come back and sit on a nice comfy couch with my laptop and a Corona!

And a giant chess board, pool table, and plasma screen...


I found this board particularly funny until I did indeed spot a Nacho Cheese Dorito underneath my bed that I had not dropped. The thought to eat it never crossed my mind, and I waited a whole day to even touch it and take it to the trashcan b/c it grossed me out so much!

View from the front of the hostel-pretty spectacular view of Edinburgh Castle

View from Princes Street Garden of Edinburgh Castle


View of the Old Town from Princes Street Garden

Not sure what this cottage in the middle of the gardens was, but it was very pretty!


Along the whole length of Princes Street is the Princes Street Gardens which were sunken down into a valley as they used to be the botton of Nor Loch (drained in the 1800's as it was heavily polluted from sewage running down from the Old Town). The gardens provide a stunning view up to the Old Town and Edinburgh Castle. The gardens were packed with people sunbathing and relaxing and were so welcoming and beautiful. They had benches the whole length of the park, so whenever I needed a rest, I would go and sit in the park.Whenever I got tired at the end of the day, I would also take my book there to read and look up at the Castle. Did I mention that I LOVED Edinburgh?


Scott Monument on Princes Street. It had 287 steps and 4 viewing decks to look out over Princes Street. If I had had more time, I would have loved to have go up and see the view!

Oh lamposts...

So I thought that this staircase from the New Town (Princes Street divides New Town from Old Town) was the only way to the Old Town and I thought well, I won't be visiting there very often. Because once I got to the top of these stairs, there was a VERY steep hill to even get into the middle of the Old Town. Luckily, I found out later that there was a not-as-steep hill right near the hostel which would get me directly to the Castle and the Old Town. Thank goodness!

Bagpiper #1!!



Rose Street in the New Town had quaint bars and pubs lining the whole of the street and these wonderful stone flower designs at every intersection.

Edinburgh Castle was built up on volcanic Castle Rock in the 12th century. I think it has changed a lot since then, but St. Margarets Chapel still remains from this time and is the oldest buidling in Edinburgh.

First night in Edinburgh!



So I took the train to Edinburgh Friday morning and arrived around 2:30 in the afternoon into Waverly Station. After checking into the hostel, I took a walk around the New Town of Edinburgh. You can see my attempt to get to the Old Town left me dissapointed (all those freaking steps!), so I didn't really make it there on my first day. I returned to the hostel around 7ish so I could relax in the lounge with a beer and look at some of my photos. I went out again after dark to try and take some night photos, but not many turned out that well. I already knew that after only a few hours in Edinburgh, I was in love!

1 comment:

  1. Have you read anything by Cassandra Clare? This blog post made me think of it because you mentioned taking your book to the park & reading. Pick up a copy of Clockwork Angel. It's set in London during the 1800's. I love her books! but especially this one because she made references to London that I understood.

    ReplyDelete